Bus strikes end as pay deal accepted

Saturday, 29 November 2025 08:52

By Gareth Joy X @lookoutwales2

First Cymru

A pay dispute which led to strike action on First Cymru buses is over.

Unite union members have voted in favour of an improved offer from the operator, which runs services across south and west Wales.

Two four-day stoppages affected buses in and around the Llantwit Major area.

But last week, the union suspended plans to escalate their industrial action and hold a nine-week strike which would have run until late January.

Unite described the outcome as a "significant and well deserved victory" following a week-long ballot of its members.

A spoksperson said: "We’re delighted to announce that, following their recent period of strike action, First Cymru workers have secured an improved pay deal."

"As part of the agreement, all workers will also receive full back pay of the 5% increase, and additional increases going forward— a key issue at the heart of the dispute."

First Cymru's managing director said they were pleased the threat of further strike action has been lifted.

Doug Claringbold added: "This agreement provides certainty for our teams and our customers, and enables us to move forward together."

"Our priority now is to restore confidence and deliver the reliable, consistent services that our communities depend on every day."

"We want to thank our customers for their patience during this period of uncertainty, and we look forward to welcoming back anyone who may have been affected by the recent disruption."

Do you have a story to share? Email News@broradio.fm 

 

More from Bro Radio Newsroom

More from Bro Radio

Vale Weather

  • Sat

    10°C

  • Sun

    9°C

  • Mon

    13°C

  • Tue

    10°C

  • Wed

    10°C

Local events

Radio
Online
App
Smart Speaker