The leader of Cardiff Council has confirmed that he will be putting his name forward for consideration as a Labour candidate in next year's Senedd election.
Cllr Huw Thomas refused to say whether or not he would stand in the 2026 Senedd election when previously asked last September.
All four Labour constituency members of the Senedd in the Welsh capital have ruled themselves out of the running.
The Local Democracy Reporting Service asked Cllr Thomas what his plans were for next year’s elections
Cllr Thomas, who was attending a topping out ceremony for a new block of council flats in Grangetown, said: “I will be putting my name forward for consideration, yes.”
Cllr Thomas became the youngest leader of Cardiff Council in May 2017 at the age of 31.
Originally from Aberystwyth, the ward councillor for Splott was first elected to the local authority in 2012.
The current Cardiff West MS, Mark Drakeford, is best known for leading Wales as First Minister during the Covid-19 pandemic.
Mr Drakeford, who currently serves as the Welsh Government’s cabinet secretary for finance and Welsh language, has said he will not be running for re-election.
Vaughan Gething’s time as First Minister was short lived.
The Cardiff South and Penarth MS resigned just four months into the job following pressure over donations he received in the Welsh Labour leadership contest.
Mr Gething announced in September 2024 that he will not seek re-election in 2026.
The other two constituency members of the Senedd in Cardiff, Jenny Rathbone for Cardiff Central and Julie Morgan for Cardiff North, have also announced that they won’t seek re-election.
Ms Rathbone, who has served as an MS since 2011, sits on the climate change, environment and rural affairs committee and the public accounts committee.
Ms Morgan has also been an MS since 2011. Over the years, she has been on a number of committees and served as the deputy health minister at one point.
Before her time in Cardiff Bay, she also served as a politician in Westminster for 13 years after being elected as the MP for Cardiff North in 1997.
The Senedd will undergo a number of major changes next year.
When people go to the polls in May 2026, they will be using a new voting system and there will be 16 new 'super constituencies' electing six members each - with the Vale of Glamorgan seat being merged with Bridgend.
Incumbent Vale MS Jane Hutt has also confirmed she won't be seeking re-election next year.
On top of this, the Senedd will be expanded to 96 members instead of the 60 that currently sit and anyone standing for election must live in Wales.

Barry Town Council welcomes new Mayor for 2026/27
First Minister appoints his Ministerial team
Bride Travels to Wedding by Train on the South Wales Metro
Officers continue to investigate Park Road incident
Sell-out Barry Island 10k returns this Sunday
Six Vale beaches receive yellow and blue seaside Award flags
Conservative MS thanks voters for their support as he returns to the Senedd
Cardiff Airport backs aviation degree with on-site student training
National award for local PR consultant
A surfboard shop in Penarth could be a new bar with "potential" for future restaurant use
Work set to begin on gas pipe upgrades in Llandough and Penarth
Burglars have broken into the Taylor Wimpey Site near Dunraven
Our 'Green objectives’ will be the price of any support for new government say Wales Green Party
Former Transport Secretary appointed Interim Welsh Labour Leader
Senedd Election 2026: Results Roundup
Senedd 2026: Caerdydd Penarth returns historic result
Public Health Wales writes to Barry parents to stress importance of handwashing during Hepatitis A outbreak